Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Day Four

22/5/14
Today was interesting, being the first day I had a different nurse as my preceptor. Funnily enough the nurses were both relieving for the sick nurses who were rostered, so I was more familiar with the ward and the patients then they were. They were fabulous and lovely, and I had a great shift.
Started out watching the bundles of procedure surrounding blood transfusions, and ended up doing regular blood transfusion obs, watching for any reaction or issue. I also assisted with the mountains of paperwork that accompanies discharges and admissions. And believe me there is buckets.
Removed a cannula without any fuss *self hi-five*, thankfully no haemorrhaging occurred but by God I was prepared if it did. Also must admit I'm feeling pretty confident with subcutaneous injections, with patients saying they can't even feel when I administer it. I wrote a couple of sets of patient notes, then it was home time. Not all that much to report really, although during the shift you feel you are working flat out. Enjoying clinical to the extreme, but it feels like it's going pretty fast already. Must keep on top of sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Yes sleep lots little lass! Sounds like you are a pro already, go you!

    ReplyDelete