Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Day Seven

27/5/14

A busy day yet again where I plodded along, picking up things as we went. Including the art of mixing up IV antibiotics, which can often come in power form in tiny, vacuum sealed glass jars. I invariably spilt some by accidently squeezing down on the syringe plunger causing it to shoot out like an open artery. (oops)
I also removed clips (staples) from an abdominal wound! A most exciting experience. All you need is a special pair of scissors, and they just pop out. Hopefully without causing too much discomfort to any patients or family members involved (think, ricochet zone).
Another new today was observing the removal of vaginal packing, which is essentially a roll (or possibly two) of gauze that is packed in post-operatively to prevent per vaginam bleeding, also know as pv loss. Pv loss can occur for many gynae procedures, such as hysterectomy and the packing prevents bleeding and promotes clotting in the same way as putting pressure on a wound. As 50% of us can all to readily imagine, the packing can cause great irritation and discomfort due to the nature of the beast.
Last and best for today, the tale of the Teds. Every patient who spends any time in bed in hospital has to wear compression stockings. This we all know to be true. Compression stockings or TEDs prevent edema, phlebitis, and thrombosis. What they don't tell you in class is just how bloody hard they are to get on yourself, let alone someone else. The task fell to me to help a woman put on her stockings. I started strong but my resolve withered under their unforgiving elasticity. I got one halfway up only to be met by a stubborn pyjama leg that refused to budge higher than mid calf. I requested my nurses advice and was met with a snigger. Pants would not come off over stocking, stocking could not go higher over pyjama. We were at a stand off. Collectively we decided to remove Ted and start over. As you may have guessed the removal is an ordeal in itself. She braced on the head of the bed, I braced against the foot and we pulled and pulled and just like that I was sent flying several metres, over the wheely trolley and into the wall with a great thud. The only cushioning to my fall were the peals of laughter from everyone in the room.
Sometimes, you have to learn the hard way.

2 comments:

  1. Easier if patients came with plastic legs a la you tube instructional video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, at least your patients will all heal fast - laughter is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete